QUINCY TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A house is considered a complete loss after a fire like started by oily rags.
The Quincy Fire Department responded to the scene at 983 Clarendon Road in Quincy Township in the early morning of March 25. Crews say the home was fully engulfed in flames by the time they arrived. Because of the remote area, Coldwater, Litchfield, and Homer all sent in support.
The Branch County Sheriff’s Office and Dispatch Center were able to track down the owner of the home, safe at their main residence in Coldwater.
Investigators say the home had recently been purchased and was undergoing renovations. The cause of the fire is suspected to be a pile of oil-soaked rags and staining material left on the porch the night before. The materials somehow spontaneously combusted in the middle of the night.
The fire is considered accidental.